Harris Promenade sits at the heart of the City of San Fernando. A nexus of historical legacy and a hub for leisure and community activities, the 0.46 kilometre walkway was originally conceptualised by Lord Harris, Governor of Trinidad from 1846- 1854. The promenade is a central feature of the city landscape, neighbouring City Hall, the statues of prominent historical figures and the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church, that is more than 100 years old.
After almost a century and a half, the original masonry of the Promenade began to tell its age, prompting UDeCOTT to undertake much needed refurbishment of the landmark. The promenade was overhauled using reinforced concrete and adding transition staircases, concrete planters and kerbs. Additionally the Bandstand, a cultural focal point in San Fernando associated with open air events, was refurbished using paving stones in the main structure and at its access points.
The impact of the Harris Promenade restoration extends beyond the changes made to the physical site and resonates with those who frequent the landmark as part of a proud Southern heritage. Harris Promenade has lost none of its quaint charm and efforts by UDeCOTT have assisted in returning its former glory to the people of San Fernando.