Mille Fleurs was built in 1904 by George Brown of the Trinidad Trading Company as a gift to Dr. Enrique Prada who would serve as the Mayor of Port of Spain from 1914 to 1917. Named among Trinidad’s “Magnificent Seven” buildings and recognised by the public as national heritage site, the restoration project has the potential to significantly enhance the morale of the national community.
The project will include the restoration and transformation of the building from a private residence to a public museum.
Another building named “The Mews” will be constructed on the site of the former stables, at the rear of the property which will contain offices for the museum staff; a restoration and heritage library; storage of antiques; public bathrooms and a small cafeteria and shop for the visitors.
Landscaped gardens and ambient exterior lighting will complement the architecture and create an elegant contrast to the Savannah at night. Seating will also be provided in a designated area on the grounds to allow visitors to view and enjoy the gardens.