The Port of Spain General Hospital located on upper Charlotte Street, Port of Spain General was originally construction as a Colonial hospital in 1855. The 575-bed hospital is the primary public health care and emergency facility in northern Trinidad. Over time the hospital’s building facilities have deteriorated significantly and limited the extent to which hospital staff could keep up with the advances made by modern medical technology. The current 33 in-patient care units no longer adequately meet the needs of patients or the approximately 3,700 members of staff.
In an attempt to maintain the functionality of the existing hospital during the construction works, UDeCOTT envisioned a non-disruptive phased construction. The new 720 bed campus will be designed to be a self-contained, modern medical teaching facility, equipped with advanced medical technology, and will be designed and outfitted to the most current UK NHS Standards Hospital Building Notes (HBN) and associated Health Technical Memoranda (HTM).
UDeCOTT has commenced the conceptual phase for the Phase 1 of the redevelopment program. The first phase of the redevelopment will consist of the construction of a seven storey inpatient block which will incorporate 330 bed wards, accident and emergency department, ICU, CCU, HDU and associated back of house departments.