The San Fernando Waterfront has the potential to be the commercial core of the City with increased opportunities for income generating activities, as well as improved living conditions for people in the South.
The San Fernando Waterfront presents a potential landscape of high amenities and functional value, due to its picturesque shoreline and proximity to the Southern Central Business District (CBD).
As the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago continues to strive for sustainable development, improvement in service delivery, whilst providing a high quality of life for all citizens in Trinidad and Tobago, the advancement of the economic and commercial growth of the City of San Fernando was placed as a priority.
Cabinet mandated that the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (UDeCOTT) be the overall implementation agency and developer of the Master Plan for the San Fernando Waterfront Redevelopment Project. The San Fernando Redevelopment Project is one of the largest regeneration projects in Trinidad and Tobago to date, with the aim of enhancing the economic, social and cultural vitality of the City of San Fernando and its environs.
This Master Plan has inculcated opportunities for international and local tourism, expansion of the business sector, improved transportation facilities, development of leisure facilities, increased family oriented spaces and activities, as well as preservation of historical assets.
This Redevelopment Project is being implemented in three phases and will offer opportunities for public/private partnerships and investment. Works have commenced in Phase 1.
• Reclamation of 3.8 Hectares
• Relocation of PTSC’s Maintenance Facilities
• Lady Hailes Road Upgrade and Boardwalk
• Upgrade/Restoration of the Plaza San Carlos Historical District
• San Fernando Public Car Park Development
• Lady Hailes Mixed Use Development
• Hatters Beach Fishing Facility Construction
• Coastal Wall Development
While Phases 2 and 3 are some ways off in terms of implementation, these modules will also include opportunities for public/private partnerships and investment.
• Transit Hub
• Car Park for Transit Hub/Water Taxi
• Development of Kings Wharf Central
• Improved Fishing Facilities at Kings Wharf North
• Development of a New Water Taxi Terminal
• Development of an Administrative Tower
• Development of the Harbour
• Development of a Hotel near the Harbour