The Salvatori Building was a prominent feature of Port of Spain’s post-independence landscape, housing the prestigious oil companies that operated in Trinidad and Tobago as well as government ministries and agencies including the Ministry of Petroleum and Mines, the Management Development Centre, the Elections and Boundaries Commission and the General Post Office. The site was originally a general store that occupied three storeys and consisted of 15 departments and employing over 250 persons. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1958.
In the 1990s, the Government acquired the property and demolished the outdated structure. In the intervening years, the site has been opened to vendors for use as an open plan market. The next phase of the site’s history will see UDeCOTT transform one of Port of Spain’s busiest corners, to reflect the country’s current state of development.
The projected high-rise tower will provide the following usages Residential, Commercial & Retail Spaces and Parking. The construction of the high-rise tower will change the face of downtown Port of Spain while providing a multifaceted range of facilities.